UK Lead Organisation:
County Lead Organisation:
- Maintain all sites that support important populations of ground nesting solitary bees and wasps in a favourable condition.
- Where appropriate, increase current important populations of solitary bees and wasps through site enhancement.
- Ensure that important bare ground sites are safeguarded during reclamation, improvement and development schemes. (SWT)
- Ensure appropriate sites containing populations of this species meeting the SSSI criteria are designated. (EN)
- Ensure any examples of sites containing populations of this species and that meet the required criteria are given SBI status. (SBI Grading Committee)
- A number of sites of interest for solitary bees and wasps have been identified on some Staffordshire heathlands. These are classified as SSSIs or SBIs and receive some protection.
- Invertebrate Criteria have been worked out to include these species into the Sites of Biological Importance (SBI) series.
Management, Monitoring, Research and Survey
Seek to ensure that all 'key sites' for solitary bees and wasps have appropriate ongoing management. (SWMHP and other Landowners)
Monitor 'key sites' within the County by assessing the amount and quality of bare ground and associated forage habitat every five years. (SWT)
Add all known sites onto the Invertebrate Sites Register. (SER, NE)
- Notify organisations which may have a potential impact on these species e.g. sand quarrying companies and other landowners. (SWT)
- Ensure policy makers are aware of the need to retain areas of suitable bare ground. (SWT)
- Increase species awareness for the public and landowners through education, promotion and events. (SWT)